For the past 6 years I’ve been waiting on my Hogwarts letter to arrive. I’ve been waiting, and waiting, but its getting to the point where its not looking too good for me.
Since about the time I was 7 I have always loved books and movies that have something to do with magic. I don’t just love the fact that most of the characters are magical, but also the amazing, enchanted worlds they live in. For me half the appeal of going to Hogwarts is not only to achieve magical powers, but of course to live in the wizarding world.
The wizarding world seems dark, but at the same time draws you in with its unusual appeal. I’ve always loved watching the Harry Potter movies and picking up on the fun treats he eats. The food, although sometimes strange, seems so cool compared to our ‘muggle’ food. If you’ve ever watched the Harry Potter movies or read the books you most likely know about Butterbeer, a popular drink in the wizarding world. Sometime last year a butterbeer recipe craze swept the internet with the opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park in Universal Studios, Orlando. I was sooo excited when I saw all these recipes knowing that I’d get to experience something Harry Potter would drink. I mean wouldn’t this experience make me a little wizard like?
The recipe I chose to make was not the Butterbeer drink, but instead Butterbeer flavored cupcakes… you know I had to make a pastry out of it, didn’t you? These cupcakes were part of my family’s Halloween party celebration, but also are a delicious treat year round. Since making them at the party I’ve made them on several other occasions because the recipe is super delish, and was a mega hit at the party!
The flavor of Butterbeer is reminiscent of butterscotch, and butter. That is honestly the best way I can put it, which obviously means this recipe has to be delicious because those are two of the best flavors out there in my opinion!
So my suggestion to you is to whip up a batch of these bad boys, take out the wand you have hidden in your dresser drawer, throw on your witch hat from last halloween, pop a Harry Potter movie in, and enjoy a magical day in the wizarding world!
Butterbeer Cupcake Recipe
(Taken by Brooke B. – Butterbeer Cupcakes mixed in with mini chocolate cupcakes)
Serves: 12 cupcakes
- For the cupcakes: 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup cream soda
- For the ganache: 1 package butterscotch chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- For the buttercream frosting: 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup butterscotch ganache
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 16-oz. package powdered sugar
- For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pans with paper liners. Combine your flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, mix your butter until light and fluffy. Add your sugars and beat until well-combined. Beat in your eggs. Then beat in your vanilla extract.
- Add your cream soda and dry ingredients in batches until all are well incorporated. Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 full, then bake for 17 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.
- For the butterscotch ganache: In a double boiler, combine butterscotch chips and heavy cream and stir until completely combined and smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- For the frosting: Mix butter in a large bowl until fluffy. Add in ganache, vanilla flavoring and mix until well combined. Beat in powdered sugar a little at a time until reaching desired consistency. Frost cupcakes and top with a drizzle of butterscotch ganache.(Recipe courtesy of the Mama B Blog – http://mamabblog.com/2011/07/harry-potter-butterbeer-cupcakes.html)
And if you are feeling like you just can’t get enough of this butterbeer goodness check out the following links to quench your cravings!
Butterbeer Ice Cream Sandwiches! Perfect for a summer Harry Potter Party! –
The real deal, straight up Butterbeer –
Have a magical day!
xox & sugar from the kitchen,