One of my favorite things about the holiday season are the parties! I love getting together and having a jolly old time! Every year my mom and I attend a ladies cookie party. Well, this year our usual hostess unfortunately couldn’t host, so mom and I decided that we would put on a ladies cookie party and I’m sure glad we did! The premise of the party is to swap cookies. At the end of the party we all go in a line and take 2 of each person’s cookie, so you end up with an assorted, delicious tray! This year all the ladies brought yummy cookies from Peanut Butter Blossoms to Thumbprint cookies. I made Brown Butter Nutella Sea Salt Cookies. Yes, it is a mouthful, but trust me, you want a mouthful of these! Scrumptious is all I have to say….
These Brown Butter Nutella Sea Salt Cookies were out of this world. In all honesty, I think the brown butter, the chocolate choice, and sea salt is what knocked them out of the park. The nutella taste isn’t too strong in these and could even be omitted and the cookie in my opinion would be just as fabulous! The brown butter has a warm, nutty taste to it, which makes it taste like a chocolate chip cookie you have never had before. I’ve never made browned butter prior to this, so please don’t let that scare you. It is super simple and a must know, as it really took these cookies up 10,000 notches! The bittersweet and semi sweet chocolate morsels were perfect, as they made these cookies not too sweet, but rich and decadent. And the sea salt… well, I’m always a fan of the sweet and salty combo. There simply is nothing better!
I decided in honor of our ladies party to host a virtual Cookie Party with you all! Below I’m sharing my recipe for the Brown Butter Nutella Cookies along with some links for other yummy cookie recipes!
Brown Butter Nutella Sea Salt Cookies
Original Recipe by Ambitious Kitchen
2¼ cup all-purpose flour
1¼ teaspoons baking soda
2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter
1¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon light sour cream
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup bittersweet morsels
1 jar of Nutella, chilled in refrigerator
Coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- In a large bowl mix flour, baking soda, and salt until combined. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt and cook down the salted butter until little brown bits appear in the pan and you smell a nutty aroma. (This may take upwards of 5 minutes, so don’t get nervous if it doesn’t happen right away) Remove from the heat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix together butter and sugars until fully incorporated. Beat in egg, yolk, vanilla, and sour cream until combined. Gradually add the dry ingredients until combined. Stir or fold in chocolate chips.
- Place cookie dough in the refrigerator for 2 hours to let the flavors meld together.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Roll 1½ tablespoons of dough and flatten the dough to make a flat circle. Place 1 teaspoon of chilled Nutella in the middle and then roll edges up around that. You may need a little more dough to completely cover Nutella. After the Nutella is completely covered roll the dough into a ball.
- Place dough balls on cookie sheet and flatten the top a bit by gently pressing down, 2 inches apart and bake 9-11 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and let cool on wire racks.
Welcome to the Cookie Party!
Skinny Reese’s Cookie Cups via Sweet Prima Donna
Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies via Sally’s Baking Blog
Quadruple Chocolate Soft Fudgey Pudding Cookies via Averie Cooks
Skinny Chocolate Chip Buttercream Frosting Cookie Sandwiches via Sweet Prima Donna
Sweet & Salty Potato Chip Toffee Cookies via Sally’s Baking Blog
Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed our little virtual party and that it inspires you to host your own cookie party! Enjoy!