This cake was a BIG hit, I mean real big. Almost as big as the cake itself.
Imagine this- Fudgey Brownie layer, Whipped Marshmallow Creme filling, Moist Chocolate Cake Layer, frosted with Chocolate Fudge Frosting & Topped all off by Rich Semi-Sweet Chocolate Ganache & dollops of Chocolate Fudge Frosting. Yes, you read that right. Now you can see why this cake is such a monster, and I mean that in the best way possible of course!
For this cake, I followed the general idea of my Hostess Inspired Ding Dong Cake and made little variations to make it easier (some boxed mixes) to make since I had a few other goodies to bake up that day! Usually I’m not a fan of short cuts when it comes to baking, since I’m a big “make it from scratch” advocate, but sometimes you’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do & for this recipe, I’m not complaining since the ‘shortcuts’ really knocked this cake out of the park!
If you’d like to make the cake & brownies from scratch you can view my Chocolate Cake Recipe I used for my Hostess Inspired Cake here and use your favorite fudgey brownie recipe.
Hostess Ding Dong Inspired Cake with a Brownie Twist!
Betty Crocker Super Moist Cake Mix – Chocolate Fudge
*Make cake in 9 inch round pan. Bake according to package, set aside to cool.
Pillsbury Brownie Mix- Chocolate Fudge
*Make brownies in 9 inch round pan. Bake according to package, set aside to cool.
Whipped Marshmallow Creme Filling
1/4 cup salted butter, softened to room temp
2/3 cup marshmallow creme (or fluff)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1. Using a handheld or standing mixing with paddle attachment, beat butter, marshmallow creme, vanilla, and cream on medium speed until completely smooth.
2. Add confectioner’s sugar slowly on low, then increase to high and beat for one minute.
Chocolate Fudge Frosting (halve this recipe)
4 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup butter, melted
2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
about 2/3 cup milk, (I used heavy cream)
1. Stir together cocoa and sugar in mixer.
2. Mix in melted butter.
3. Add vanilla, and then mix in milk to get right consistency. (I didn’t use a lot because I wanted it to be pipe-able, so bare that in mind if you’d like to pipe your cake.)
*Makes enough frosting to frost the entire cake, and pipe around the bottom and top of the cake.
3. Add more confectioner’s sugar if needed. (I didn’t need to, but I would recommend if you want a thicker consistency to add it a tablespoon at a time)
4. Set aside.
Recipe my own (Brooke B.)
12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream
1. Pour heavy cream into a sauce pan. Place on the stove top and bring just to a boil.
2. Place chocolate chips in a heat proof bowl.
3. When cream begins to boil, remove from stove and pour over the chips.
4. Whisk until smooth. Place mixture in the freezer for 5 minutes, or until its cool, but still good for pouring.
Assembling the Cake
- Start by placing brownie layer on your cake tray.
- Place a hearty amount of Whipped Marshmallow Creme Filling on top of brownie layer, then put the cake layer on top.
- Frost the top of the cake layer with the Chocolate Fudge Frosting (don’t make the layer of frosting too thick, as ganache still goes on top. Leave 1/2 cup frosting aside.), then slowly pour the ganache over the top.
- Using remaining frosting, place in frosting bag with tip of your choice (I used large star tip) to make frosting dollops on top.
- If you’d like you can finish by sprinkling your sprinkles of choice. I chose silver because it was fitting for the season, but you could do pink for Valentine’s Day, or Rainbow for birthdays- the sky is the limit!
Now, run to that kitchen & get a-baking!
If you’re looking for a good ole fashion Ding Dong Recipe- my Hostess Ding Dong Inspired Cake would be it! 2 Layers of moist cake, Whipped Marshmallow Creme Filling, Chocolate Frosted & Ganache Topped- good stuff I tell you!